[AT] Zenith Stuck Jet Removal

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:45:04 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding a Zenith carburetor on a Gravely L; I
know this is a tractor group, but we do have Zeniths on tractors!  This
Zenith is nearly identical to the ones on my Farmall A's.  Someone along
the way attempted (vainly) to remove the brass

~main jet
~main jet passage plug
~well vent jet
~idle jet

and did a terrible job of using a screwdriver.  The notches are
stripped!  Furthermore, whoever installed them either torqued the jets
or applied a sealant.  I had enough left to get my screwdriver in place,
but even after days of soaking in penetrating fluid, the parts will
still not budge.  My screwdriver doesn't have enough power, even clamped
in a vise with all my weight on the turn.  I don't want to damage the
aluminum bowl, or the threads, so I need a way to extract these stubborn
parts.

I was able to remove the needle seat with my screw extractors since the
notches were stripped on it also.  However, the little jets are either
too shallow for my extractors to get enough grip into the brass, or they
are too small for any jet.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?  How did you get these stubborn
characters out?

Thanks for your help,
Ben Wagner