[AT] Finally baling

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 26 12:12:48 PDT 2012

On 7/26/2012 12:23 PM, Mattias Kessén wrote:
> The pack behind the baler is for lifting it onto a wagon. But i don't have
> a appropriate wagon for that. The bales are never turned. The baler is a
> welger WSA 350 and it's pretty old I got it about ten years ago for about
> 70 USD. It makes square loose packed bales that are easy to handle and
> stack, indoors. Never heard of people stacking hay outdoors in civilized
> parts of the world ;-)
> I wouldn't say that i farm but our place is a little more than twelve acres
> and about half of it I use for hay.

I recall seeing ads for Welger balers here in the old Country Guid
magazines from the 1950s. In fact one that attached to the back of a
combine to bale the straw as it came out the back of the combine.
Indoor storage for hay is rare here. We have always stacked the square
bales outside and in a well built stack there is very little loss of
quality except for some of the outer layer. Round bales store well too
and I have kept some over a year outside. They do have a layer of
spoiled hay on the outside but inside it is as good as the day it was
baled.
Here is a pic of how I baled flax straw with the Massey 120 baler. The
little stacker on the back makes stacks of six bales which is a lot
better to pick up than single bales. The stacker works most of the time
but not so well in flax straw where the bales tend to hang together and
not land properly. I built a little platform for a rider to make sure
the bales don't hang up.
[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2282463060032927439LFkyHO][IMG]http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/19797/2282463060032927439S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Ralph in Sask.