[AT] O.T. pipe size

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:10:38 PDT 2012

Don,  1 1/2" (nominal size) steel pipe measures 1.90" outside diameter.   It
comes in several different wall thicknesses.  Schedule 40 is generally
considered standard size.  Schedule 40 has a wall thickness of .145"  so
that would give you an inside diameter of
1.90 - (.145 x 2)= 1.90" - .290 = 1.61" inside diameter.    You said 1 5/8
which is 1.625 so if you can't live with that extra 15/1000ths.
you would need to go to schedule 10 pipe which has a wall of .109.  That
would give you just over 1 5/8" inside.

To get the schedule 10 pipe you'll need to call an industrial piping
supplier.  The cheapest should be what is called ERW pipe which stands for
electric resistance welded, meaning it has a weld seam down it and is made
by rolling a flat bar into a tube and welding the edge.
If you are looking for cheap you want 1 1/2" Sch. 10 black iron ERW pipe.
Verify what I told you with the pipe supplier.  It will come in 21' lengths
most likely and will not be threaded on the ends.

If you don't have a pipe supplier nearby try looking online at McMaster
Carr.  They'll ship it to you.  If you get it motor freight the freight
might not be too bad.

Hope this helps.    If those numbers don't work out for you look on McMaster
Carr's web site at "structural tubing".  It looks like pipe to the untrained
eye but tubing is made to be machined and is perfectly round or at least
more perfectly round than pipe.  They should have that in exactly 2" with a
variety of wall thicknesses but it's been a long time since I bought any so
I could be wrong.