[AT] Tractor/Brush-hog

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 20 03:34:56 PDT 2012

While a Ford N is a nice enough tractor, there is no way it could run a
7' brush cutter. I would say that 5' is the most an N could handle with
its ~20 hp engine. These days, the Ford N's are pretty much considered
"hobby" tractors. And a bit problem is the PTO arrangement that
absolutely requires a freewheeling coupler on the PTO for safety.

I think you need to be thinking of something in the 35-20 hp range. If
you like the layout of the Ford, you probably need to move "up" to one
of the 800 series. The "look and feel" is pretty much the same as the N,
just a bigger machine with more power. The 860 has the advantage of a 5
speed transmission and semi-independent (i.e. two stage) PTO clutch, so
you can get the cutter running before you engage the wheels. I run my
860 with a 6' cutter, and it seems fine.

The Ford N's are single bottom tractors, but some folks can get them to
run two bottoms in very loose soil. Again, the 800 series will handle
two bottoms easily and maybe three in a pinch.

The big advantage of the Fords is that, like most of the IH machines,
parts are readily available and not very expensive.

As far as pricing, it is hard to say because of market conditions,
geography, and condition. You really have to take a look at the ads in
the local papers, Buffalo/Rochester/Albany Craigslists, etc. I would
offer that an *average* price for a Ford N in good condition would be
about $2K, while a 600/800 in good working condition might be $3K. Rear
tires are a big concern - they have gotten VERY expensive lately.

I am sure others will have their own take on this, but the above is
based only on my own experience.

Mike