[AT] Easier to Start?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 15 20:48:51 PDT 2012

Ben,  your Zenith Carb should have a little brass tag on it.  It's probably
round with a rivet through the center holding it in place.  There should be
two sets of numbers stamped into the tag.  They usually are stamped around
the circumference of the tag with one set of numbers closer to the center
and the other around the "rim" so to speak.  I forget which one is the one
you need but copy both of them down and go to this site.
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/TrackitsF.htm#TracFarm   That should take
you to a chart with carb information and the kit parts numbers.  The kits
don't cost that much.  I've never bought from this site.  I just use them
for reference but I would try them if I needed something I couldn't find
locally.   Go ahead and get you a kit if you can.  Take the carb apart
carefully and rebuild it.  Take the adjustment screws out first.  Then
remove the cap screws that hold the housing halves together.  Be very
careful removing the brass parts inside the carb.  Make sure you use tools
that precisely fit the brass tools.   I haven't had a Zenith apart in years.
I think you'll need a small deep well socket and a couple of GOOD
screwdrivers.  Get some spray carb cleaner.  That should do unless it's
really gummed up.  If it is then you might need to borrow someone's gunk
tank.  Most shops that work on older stuff have one.  Make sure you get all
the rust and gunk out of the carb.  Run tip cleaners or small wire into the
small openings but be careful not to break them off in there.  Then wash it
with solvent, let it dry and blow it out with compressed air.  Wear your
safety glasses.  Once you are sure it's completely clean, clean it again,
flush it again and dry it again.  Then put the new parts from the kit in it.
The kit available now don't always have all the parts.  Make sure you know
what you have in your kit and be careful not to destroy or loose parts you
might need to reuse.  Put it back back together and set the adjustment
screws like the directions in the kit say.  Oh I forgot to tell you to be
very careful with the float.  Shake it.  If you don't hear anything sloshing
inside it or see anything leaking from it, then it's most likely ok.  Make
sure to check the throttle shaft bushings.  There should be new ones and a
new throttle shaft in the kit.

If you do all that correctly and if your fire, timing and compression is
right it will start easily.   Find a good spot to work on the carb where you
are working over a table so that if you drop one of those little pieces you
don't loose it.  Make sure you have good light so you can see it well.

It's not as hard as I've made it sound but I didn't want to leave anything
out.  If I said something wrong or missed something hopefully someone will
correct me.

Charlie