[AT] Are we alive?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:42:59 PDT 2012

Dudley,  that reminds me of the last year I farmed after my dad died.  I was
a senior in high school.  I planted the whole farm (small farm) in soy
beans.  They were the old variety that grew a big bush.  I plowed those
beans until they were too big to plow and then I walked them pulling the
remaining weeds by hand (the whole farm, row by row) until the beans lapped
over the middles and formed a solid sea of soy bean tops.  It was a
beautiful crop.  Then it turned dry in August.  When it was time to pick my
beans they bushes were full of big nice pods but the beans themselves were
the size of BB shot.  The whole crop went in one single axle grain truck.
We didn't have a combine so I had to give the custom operator 1/4 or it
might even have been 1/3 of the crop.  What I had left paid the fertilizer
bill and the tax on the farm for the year.   I was headed off to college the
next year so that was the end of my farming.

Charlie