[Farmall] New Manifold for 1949H

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 08:04:27 PDT 2012

Tom,
Interesting.  There are a bunch of places that are selling manifolds using
the same exact picture of the painted manifold.  As I already said, most of
the other places have a price around $150.  It is probably the generic
Chinese manifold.  I don't see how paying more for the same exact item will
improve the quality.  The quick shot of cheap red paint doesn't add much
either.

I assume the unpainted one is of from Steiner.  I am sure it is cast iron.
I can't say on this specific part, but Steiner does get a lot of his own
casting work done.  It is likely to fit and work well.  I think this is the
one to go with (or call Joe's as Ben suggested).

On the hole you asked about, I read your question as a reference to the
threaded hole in the intake side of the manual.  It is a vacuum port and
normally is filled with a pipe plug.  Ben read it as a reference to the weep
holes which are normally in the exhaust side of the manifold.  Those holes
were originally left open and often fill with rust over time.  Small tapered
plugs were driven in to plug them on the A/B tractors that had pneumatic
lift.  That is why our answers are a bit different.  Either way, the holes
belong there.

Jim