[AT] DC Case

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 14:20:15 PST 2012

Well the DC is back under the shed where it belongs. I double checked Jims
instructions for tightneing the chain against the service manual. It IS a
real pain. especially since you have to work through the clutch inspection
holes to disconnect the PTO shaft---would have been easy while we had it
split. I drove it around and the clanking is not horrible. I jacked it up as
Gene suggested and each side has equal slop, I just don't know how much
there should be. Anyway, we are going to leave it alone for a while.

2 more questions;

The tractor turns shorter one way than the other. When the wheels are set
straight, the steering arm from the gearbox is not vertical. Is it merely a
matter of moving it on a splined shaft or is the problem elsewhere?

Brakes. Both sides have had a history of leaking grease and have had new
seals installed in the past. One side leaks worse than the other and
actually managed to soak the disc. While taking everything apart for a good
cleaning, we observed that one side uses ball bearings on the moveable plate
and the other side uses dowel pins laid on their side. Looking at the wear,
the side with the ball bearings looks much newer. Which one is the updated
style and which one worked better? Right now the one with the balls does not
hardly work at all, I'm thinking the disc has become saturated with grease.

John