[AT] Cockshutt 40 video

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 20 09:27:02 PST 2012

You are right Dean, Buda 230 in this old 40. The 50 has the bigger 273 but
they are identical externally.
That 40 has been on this farm 43 years I think. About 1967 I remember riding
home on the back of it as my Dad drove it home. It was originally the "town
tractor" used for any type of maintenance or hauling required by the town
"crew" which I think was just one man. They had built a handy plywood deck
on the back which I thought was great for riding but of course none too
handy for hitching up to farm implements so it soon came off.
Its kind of like "Farmers grandfather's hammer" though as I think almost
everything has been changed or replaced on this 40. We added the hydraulics
and pto right away. Both rear axles were replaced with newer ones that
didn't leak oil. It had a 50 engine when we got it and it was pretty loose.
It now has a real 40 engine, rebuilt too. I replaced the fuel tank as the
original had a broken baffle inside. I replaced the main drawbar and hitch
with a newer stronger one I picked up at a farm auction.
The old original "bench seat" was ok but not as good as the newer spring
suspended knoedler seat and Dad found one of those off a wrecked 40 at a
dealer's.
The 40, like most here,  never had a three point hitch originally so I
eventually built one so we could install the snow blower. Its mostly Fordson
Major hitch parts. The hood and grille I replaced with some spares we had
with better decals and paint. The original shoe and drum brakes were better
than nothing but not nearly as good as the newer disk brakes that I
installed from a wrecked Co-op E5 (same tractor).
But the rear end and frame are still original and carry the serial number of
"old 8800".

Ralph in Sask.