[AT] cold Farmall

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Wed Jan 18 21:55:42 PST 2012

Ralph,
     It is some of your weather that is pushing its way down to us.  We
will be getting snow too, by the weekend, I suspect but we will not get
your extremely cold temps.  Might get to 15 below.
     I am surprised your fuel is working.  I try to mix #1 with the #2
for wintertime operations with my truck.  It was so nice until yesterday
that I have been getting by with #2 so I have not mixed any winter
blended fuel in my storage tank.  My Freightliner has fuel valves and I
carry straight #1 in the right tank all winter.  I shut down with the
engine operating on that.  Then when it is used next, if the temps
permit, I switch to the left tank with the blended fuel in it.  And yes,
I have forgot and gelled up.
     When I was a youngster on the farm we had alot of livestock.  Hogs
and cattle and milk cows.  Chores every day, so at least one tractor
needed to go.  When it was cold cold it was the hand crank '41 John
Deere A that got chore duty.  10W oil in the crankcase and gasoline only
in the fuel tanks.  Parked out of the wind with an old binder canvas
thrown over for a cover and sort of heat hauser with a seed sack over
the grille.  Makes me cold thinking about it.  We had no machine shed
until about 1953.  Along about 1955 my dad bought an expensive battery
charger/booster and that thing was just like heaven.  It did get relied
on too much at the sacrifice of a proper charging and starting system.
It got to be pretty easy to just plug the booster in to start the
tractor up.  You just made sure it was parked within range of an outlet.
     I may put a block heater on this old Farmall now that I have it in
my shop.  I have one I took off a tractor that works just fine.
However, I want to be sure this thing will start without it, as it is
not always parked where plugging it in would be easy.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA