[AT] cold Farmall

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 18 17:54:56 PST 2012

On 1/18/2012 6:47 PM, Ron Cook wrote:
> Well, reasonable or not, that old H needs to start so I can get my work
> done.:-)
>
> Cold weather starting was the original reason for removing the
> distributor and installing the magneto, I think.
>
> It was too nice here today , about 40 , so I didn't get anything done to
> the H.  Now the wind is blowing out of the northwest and we are headed
> for zero again tonight with snow.  From 2 below to 40 to zero in 24
> hours....must be Iowa.

It was about 40 here today too Ron, but on the other side of 0. Yes,
wind chill factors were -40 or worse at times. Downright miserable.
Thank goodness for block heaters and sheds. The old Massey Super 90
fired up on the first turn of the starter this afternoon but I was a
little concerned how my "home brewed" winter diesel would stand up to
the cold. I didn't buy any winter diesel , just mixed up some of the
commercially available fuel thinner with summer fuel and so far it works
great.
Makes me wonder how my Dad got tractors running in the days before block
heaters and battery chargers (pre electricity days). I've heard him talk
of starting the Cockshutt 50 with the hand crank but it would be heavy
going today. That 85-90 gear oil in the trans is a real drag on the
older tractors at these temps.
Anyway, good luck with your Farmall.

Ralph in Sask.