[AT] leather belt

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:57:03 PST 2012

Message: 18

>I bought a quart of Leather New from Rural King last week.  I started using that on the belt yesterday afternoon, and ended up swabbing on the whole quart. I suspect the belt would take >another gallon before it stops absorbing that conditioner.  Maybe by that time the belt will be supple enough to actually bend so it can be more easily handled. I'm tempted to set up  a dipping >tray for the belt as an easy way to satisfy the leather's thirst for revitalization, but a couple of websites specifically caution against doing that.
 >
>Maybe I should look for help in an old copy of The Farmer's Almanac?  But I figure there are enough people on this list with experience on belt pulley equipment and/or harness that I can find >some guidance from them.  Where's my grandfather when I need him?
 >
>FWIW, I don't plan on keeping this belt or the full box of Alligator belt lacing that I got with it.  Those are available.  Maybe Andy Glines needs another belt for his steamer?
 >
>Larry
 I was reading this thread with interest before I saw Larry's comment at the end.  He doesn't know that I also own 2 threshing machines and those things have lots of belts.  I thought that one of your power king tractors had a flat belt drive for buzz saws etc.   I always knew that you were supposed to oil leather but I never knew to use neatsfoot oil.  My Huber has a leather governor belt that has never been allowed to get stiff.  I dress it with my standard belt dressing which is made of pine rosin and steam cyl oil.  I nned to find a source for rosin so that i can make another batch.