[AT] Reconditioning Leather belting

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Jan 17 09:51:46 PST 2012

My first engineering job was under an old engineer who started out as a
surveyor for the city of OKC.  He said when he started up as an
apprentice, he was required to buy steel toed lace up boots.  The
procedure was to buy a pint of neatsfoot oil, and they put their boots
in a bucket of neatsfoot oil.  They would let them soak for a week in
this bucket.  The pint he brought was to make up what his boots soaked
up.  Then they would put the boots on a drying rack, with a pan
underneath that took the runoff  back to the bucket of oil, for 2
weeks.  Then the boots were ready for any type of work.  He said they
never leaked and lasted for over 30 years.  He also said that he only
put one set of soles on them in 30 years.....

For water proofing I have used Johnson's wax melted in a microwave.  I
would paint it on all theseams and all over the leather of my boots to
seal the seams from snow.  I am now trying this URAD to see how it
works.  Like I said, it smells like the old time shoe shop....l

Hey, what happened to Farmer, he used to have a cobbler shop.........
He sure would have an opinion....

Cecil in OKla