[AT] Reconditioning Leather belting

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:30:37 PST 2012

Larry,  I'm not trying to be rude and absolutely know nothing that will help
with the belt but your response below is confusing to me.  You say on the
one hand "but I'm hoping to find a more modern product that "does what needs
to be done" " and then turn around and say, "Where's my grandfather when I
need him?"    I just don't think your grandfather would be telling you about
a more modern product.
In fact I doubt anyone has tried to make a product for the long term
preservation of leather in the last 40 years or more unless it was someone
in a museum.   Seems to me the answer comes from what was done in the old
days so you are more on the right track asking what your grandfather would
have done than searching for a new fangled miracle product.   One thing I
can promise you is that if you use any product that contains silicone the
belt is ruined.  It will look great for a little while and then start to
crack up and fall apart.

Charlie