[AT] Reconditioning Leather belting

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 20:37:13 PST 2012

On Jan 16, 2012, at 10:57 PM, Larry Goss wrote:

> ... old flat belt at the Arden show this fall....20 feet long. ...
> needs some treatment and restoration/preservation so it can be used
> for flat belt pulley work.  What should I use?

I found a discussion at:
<http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/leather-belt-dressing-111503/

One contributor says:
" Every old book I've read says to only use neatsfoot oil on leather
as belt dressing. The others will eventually ruin the belt. Other
types of belting are a different story."

I suggest you avoid bending the belt if it's dried or cracking, until
you can get your treatment into it.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net