[AT] OT - R.Finks Redwood question

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Mon Jan 16 10:07:59 PST 2012

The barns, outbuildings and original houses on our ranch here were all built
from the Redwood lumber that came from Corralitos near Watsonville. When
that valley area was cut, there were 20 foot diameter trees that were there.
Some of the ground level stumps that were cut in the 1870's apparently still
remain and I personally hane seen 15 foot diameter stump remains in that
area. Most Santa Cruz Mountains lumber is now third and fourth cut, and
there are a number of beautifully managed forests, with careful and
efficient harvests that lead to virtually no soil loss even in the massive
rainfall of much of those mountains. The upper San Lorenzo Valley above
Santa Cruz has areas that average 100-110 inches of rainfall - nearly all
falling between October and April each year! And mind you that includes NO
snowfall accumulations, all either rain or fog.
     Redwoods are truly BEAUTIFUL trees, there is no question. I even have a
few I planted on my property, although our spot is nowhere near ideal for
them, they do not like the salts in the soils or the lesser amount of summer
fog. A Coast Redwood tree of over 150 feet in height actually gets over half
of the moisture it needs from the air, not the soil....
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California farmer of Vegetables, Fruit and Nuts