[AT] DC Case

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 15 12:45:24 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "john hall" <jtchall at nc.rr.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] DC Case

> Ralph, we rebuilt this engine around '95 or 96. We've used it some on the
> farm but normally it just sits standby until we need to move a wagon or
> loaded trailer. One thing we use it for is cranking other engines and
> tractors with flat belt pulleys

John, your DC is a LOT different from mine then. This one comes close to
being a pull type tractor. It has attained the status of the hardest
starting tractor on the farm, second only to the McCormick Deering 15-30
with the permanently seized up engine. This DC4 is impossible to start on
the battery or crank now. Last time we tried starting it we pulled it round
and round the fields a good while before it showed any signs of life. It had
spark and gas but I guess not in the right combination.
I could blame it on today's gas but in fact it was stubborn and
unpredictable even 40 years ago when I used to work for the neighbour that
owned it at the time. It's usual parking place was on a steep hill so it
could be "roll started". I do remember the odd occasion being able to start
it on the crank. Must have been the right combination of something .
I wouldn't trade two of them for my Cockshutt 40.

Ralph in Sask.