[AT] DC Case

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Jan 15 08:39:01 PST 2012

    John;

    The oil filter was an option on most Case tractors of that era. It was a
partial flow, or more commonly called a sludge trap. It only filtered a part
of the oil from the oil pressure relief valve and dumped back into the
crankcase. Most of the debris from the flywheel area would be in the recess
in the bottom of the housing, making draining the clutch housing more
important.

    I have always been amazed at the ability of the Case engines to tolerate
all the debris from the clutch wear and other wear parts. Cleaning all the
deposits from the crankcase should be a must do task on these old tractors.
When I cleaned the crankcase on my LA, I must have gotten a gallon of sludge
from it. When I pulled the sleeves, I think I got close to 2 gallons from
the water jacket.

                    Gene