[AT] DC Case

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Sun Jan 15 09:36:14 PST 2012

In the mid-fifties my dad bought a DC Case somewhere.  At an auction, I
suppose.  I had never seen one like it until last fall at an old tractor
event.  I do not know what year it was built, but it did have an
electrical system and was a "styled version".  It had narrow front with
chicken roost steering arrangement, non adjustable rear axles that had
dished cast centers and spacers to place in for different width.  It had
steering brake pedals that were round and were operated very nearly
straight up and down.  A hand clutch on the right hand side that
operated opposite of a John Deere and the same as a Caterpillar.   A
steering wheel with fancy multiple spokes and a built in spinner.   Lots
of nice smooth, big bore 4-cylinder power and cumbersome as all get
out.  At least for  a 130 lb 14 year old.

Now the reason for the posting..........it was purchased to run the flat
belt ensilage blower.   Our family, uncles, granddad, neighbors, were
involved in a silo filling ring and a blower tractor was needed.  Seeing
as how the DC was good on a belt and unhandy for other things, it got
selected.  Boy, did that thing work good.  Right up (my dad told me the
real story about a year before he died) until the old DC threw a rod
right through the engine while blowing ensilage over the top of the
tallest silo in the community.  That plugged the blower and stopped
things that day and they really didn't get going until after I got out
of school that afternoon and discovered the blown up Case and our John
Deere 70 on the blower instead of on the cutter.  Well, it WAS and old
tractor and it just wore out suddenly.

60 years later, I find out that my dad, who was a 2-cyinder John Deere
operator, discovered oil in the clutch of the DC while , I suppose,
adjusting the clutch.  So, on that last day he periodically checked on
the old DC and drained that oil that kept collecting in the clutch.
Yep.....ran the old girl completely out of oil.  He did not know there
was supposed to be oil in there.  Funny thing, the farm we were working
farmed with Case equipment exclusively and was the main reason the old
DC was bought in the first place.  I am thinking there may have been a
little too much blackberry brandy or peppermint schnaps involved in this
whole deal.  I never did get an answer to that.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA  who used to drive a DC Case to school with single bar flipper
hupcaps on the front wheels.  Cool man!