[AJD] fuel talk

Edchainsaw at aol.com Edchainsaw at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 09:37:47 PST 2012

I have been reading all these posts and know a lot are from  experiances.
I have read some and just wander why they have the  problems or go to the
extremes they do.

We have run ethanol based unleaded fuels for over 30yrs.  I have used  the
same 630 JD to mow hay with (a 9ft disc mower ran in 4th grear)    for
about 25yrs .   There has never been any issue on this  tractor with any
diaphams or seals or valve issues .   We also run a  1982 JD 400 lawn mower with
over 1000hrs  - same fuel- only problem  ever was when a screw fell from the
carb into the engine.  We own more  tractors than people have fingers and
toes so this is not out of the  ordinary.   We have a 4020 gas that's never
fouled a plug since we  purchased it but it does use oil,  1 pump quit us
after 1 month but this  new pump is 3yrs old--- this is my hay moving and
setting tractor.

The tractors we have trouble fouling plugs  are  the ones that  use a bit
of oil.  The ones that have diapham troubles  have troubles  over and over.
I add some sea foam to tractors I know will be sitting an  unspecified time
(sea foam or stabil what ever I have at the  time).

We work our old machines as much as I can and I just  CANNOT  believe the
problems some people say they have are all  ethanol  related.

What my fellow engineers at  the local refinery told me ( I do not  work
with them)  is that they add stuff to fuel and those addatives are  different
from old gas.  The additives they put in are made for cars with  fuel
injection.  So some of the problems we might think is   ethanol  might be the
addatives, because AVGAS would not have these either.

eddie