[AT] Grain Augers & grain blowers

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 06:57:15 PST 2012

In the midwest, grain augers were preceeded by grain blowers. These were a
hot item for a short (<6 year) period. They were installed in floor of
grain truck bed, normally front left corner.  Blowers were V-belt driven by
truck trans PTO(?).  Not sure of that; do know the normal 3 speed trans was
not properly equipped. Blowers worked good, but would crack grain if not
kept fully loaded or if one ran the truck engine/blower too fast.  One
still had to shovel grain over to this corner of the truck bed. In recent
years I have noticed a couple old trucks that had grain blower installed
(probably several decades ago).
Soon after Dad bought a grain auger, I built a 2' deep at the lower side,
metal 8' triangular brain box that worked real well.  It was light weight
so readily moved.  The shallow (upper) corner was half circle shaped so it
could be readily clamped to the auger pipe. Entire sheet metal bottom
sloped to the auger. The unloading side was limited to 2' because of height
of pickup floor/tailgate. This worked well for Dad until the last couple
years when he used custom cutters and they hauled wheat direct to town
elevators.

"Kaleidoscope
> Engineers". Keep tweaking the design until it did what it was supposed to
at least one
> time. No real theory underpinning, No worst case design analysis and no
real margin for
> component manufacturing tolerances.  I wasn't around the farm much after
the 50's but I
> did get exposed later on to some of Long's products occasionally.  Their
designs usually
> were not very impressive. Their sales prices must have been quite a bit
less expensive
> than their competition.  I haven't thought about that stinking POS LONG
baler in years but
> it must have left a permanent negative mark on my memory.  We also had a
chain/blade
> elevator made by Sears (A Sears trade name which I cannot remember right
now) that also
> was a complete POS. Usually my father selected pretty good stuff but the
Long Baler and
> the Sears elevator were the worst designed things I ever saw on our farm.
Both had a