[AJD] Antique-johndeere Digest, Vol 82, Issue 4

Troy tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 02:20:11 PST 2012

Continuing this discussion, I don't have access to any fancy fuel, so I just use regular unleaded.

I do add lead substitute occasionally, but not religiously.  To me, it seems to make the exhaust smell bad, and I don't like breathing it in.  I always wonder if I am breathing lead?

Does anyone have an opinion if lead substitute is worth the cost and effort to use it?

I have to say that my tractors have lasted, and I do work them hard, so it might've helped some over the years.  As for plug fouling . . . plugs aren't as good as they used to be, so yes, I find they do foul easier than they once did.  I go through plugs about annually now on  my main tractor the #70.

Someone mentioned Stabil . . . that is a requirement for winter.  Any gas sitting in gas cans or in the gas tank (chainsaws, lawnmowers too), gets stabil.  Gas just won't last without it anymore.

One year I forgot to put Stabil in my lawnmower, and it just wouldn't start up next Spring . . . drained the gas, added new fresh stuff, and it fired right up.

Troy