[Farmall] Super A belt pulley

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 05:25:45 PST 2012

Learned a new trick to deal with grease leaks on the belt pulley attachment on a Super A, or any of the offset IH cultivating tractors for that matter. One of the Super A's here had developed a noisy PTO so we pulled off the belt pulley attachment so we could run the tractor with just the PTO. Much to our liking the noise was gone. The bearings in the belt pulley were worn enough it is allowing the gears to get out of proper mesh. Called an IH dealer and got quite a sticker shock on the price of the bearings, about $130 for the 2. I crossed over the bearing #'s and tried a couple other places but the bearing prices didn't drop much. Then we started calling around a couple local repair shops. Both of which carry the outside bearing, it is just not as heavy as what IH originally used. Since we rarely put a flat belt on it and aren't running a belly-mower, the lighter duty bearing should work fine for us. These bearings also are double sealed so they should stop the flow of grease. We had put a new seal in earlier last year but grease still feeds between the spacer and the shaft the pulley mounts on--the seal only stops what would flow on the outside of the spacer. Hopefully all the parts we ordered will be in later this week. While we are at it we are going to change the transmission grease. It looks horrible and I don't ever remember changing it.

John Hall