[Farmall] Cultivator Colors

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Fri Jan 6 11:07:12 PST 2012

The rear rims were always galvanized (silver). Galvanizing is just a zinc
plating applied to ferrous metals to prevent rusting. The zinc is
corrosion resistant and acts as a sacrificial anode to help keep the
ferrous metal from rusting. It wears better than paint and is more rust
resistant unless you really scrape it up and remove a very large area of
the zinc (or happen to get calcium chloride on them). On galvanized
material you can scratch the galvanizing off and it will still not rust
because the surrounding zinc that remains still acts as a sacrificial
anode and cathodically protects the steel. The rims probably had a heavier
plating on them than what you find on metal trash cans.

When I replaced my rusted out rims three years ago (calcium chloride
rusted of course) the replacement rims were a light cream color. I found
some Rust-Oleum spray on galvanizing paint and painted them with that. The
paint has 94% zinc in it, which is what helps to make actual galvanizing
rust resistant. When it dries it has the same look as galvanized metal,
and not the real silvery look of most silver paints. It's been three years
and they still look like I just recently painted them, and not a spec of
rust yet.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.