[Farmall] Cultivator Colors

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 05:30:01 PST 2012

Yes, that was going to be my next question about soil sticking to the
faces.  I know plows are supposed to be bare metal, so I guess from what
you're saying cultivators have the same requirements.  I have in my hand a
book from John Deere ("Tractor Fundamentals" probably published mid-50's
since John Deere is just replacing their letter series) that mentions
"shares should be coated in oil when not in use, and heavily coated with
grease when stored."  On an interesting note, Deere explains that "rusted
shares can be used in sandy soil to scour the rust off the metal."  I do
believe my cultivators would need some coarse sand!

Without bringing up the Till-Coat discussion again, would oil/grease work
just as well for protecting my shares when they are not in use?  I'm sure
flash rust would quickly attack my shares where I store the cultivators for
now.

Ben Wagner