[AJD] AD POSTING ~ BARN: a little off topic

Troy tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 4 03:14:35 PST 2012

Thanks Hans,
That barn has been a five+ year labor of pain and love.

We built that barn completely from scratch using a combination of new and recycled materials.

It replaces the original farmstead barn that sat on that site and was blown down by a wind storm in the 1950s.  Ironically, we also had a microburst hit the same exact site while we were building the frame (We had 3 of 4 bents up at the time), and it completely destroyed the frame, which was built using two former barn frames combined together to make a one of a kind structure.  It was devastating.

Since the insurance company refused to cover the damage (they said we never added the building to our policy, but I told them we were building it . . . and to add it on . . . but that's another story), we had to scale back due to the financial losses we sustained but we were able to find another barn to take down, and relocate and somehow get it to fit on a foundation that was designed for a different barn.

Anyways, here are some more photos of the early days of the barn . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9415480@N02/sets/72157603413564966/

And here is the damage done by the wind . . . I call this the "firewood and matchstick" phase . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9415480@N02/sets/72157603417899209/

And here is when we finished up the outside hemlock siding . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9415480@N02/sets/72157625037638951/

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the photos.  To make this thread on topic . . . I love having a concrete floor in the lower barn level to work on my John Deere equipment . . . I can drive the Model A inside if I lower the air in the front tires . . . the stack just barely makes it.  The #70, I can only pull in backwards up to the stack.  If I ever need to work on it long term, I'll just remove the exhaust to pull it in.

Happy New Year, Troy