[AT] Grain Augers--Long

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 06:33:57 PST 2012

Charlie, that timing sounds like what I remember here.  Yes I have heard the older ones say the worms would "eat it up" if it stayed in the field too long.....

At my grandparents' house, Channel 9 was revered.  They started their day every morning with "Carolina Today" with Slim Short, and the other folks (whose names I remember as good as mine but Can't right now!).  John Spence was the farm reporter that I remember.  I do remember detailed reports on the tobacco prices during the summer.  In the mid-80s my cousin got his first job as the cooperative extension agent in Edgcombe county, and once in a while John Spence would interview him for this or that for his farm report.  That was BIG news at my grandparents when that happened!

Channel 7 out of Washington reported on the tobacco markets, I want to say Dick Jones did their farm report.  This would have been late 70's--early 80's.

I also remember commercials on Channel 9 for Speight "Triple Crown" tobacco seed!

Al