[AT] Grain Augers--Long

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 1 05:27:37 PST 2012

Al,  if I remember right my dad wanted to have his tobacco "layed by" (last
plowing because of it's size) by the first of June and normally started to
harvest by the first week in July.  July 4th was NOT a holiday we often
celebrated!   The harvest typically took 6 weeks and the old guys would tell
you if you didn't have your crop out of the field by mid August "the worms
would eat it up".   Even though we had DDT and some other strong pesticides
back then,  tobacco worms and other bug pests seemed to be a worse problem
back then than they are now.  Maybe it's just because I'm not on the farm to
see it now.   I bet you don't remember when a guy named "Eck" Wall did a
daily tobacco report on channel 9.  He reported total sales volume in
Greenville and other surrounding market towns, the sales volume and average
sales price and he'd usually have a bunch (bundle) of tobacco from the
highest sale price pile in the Greenville market (that was in the days when
tobacco was still graded and tied in bunches with a wrapper leaf).  He had a
clothes line in the TV Studio and he'd say "and you can hang that one on the
line!" as he put the record sale price bundle over the line.  For those that
have never seen it, the bunch of leaves were separated apart in the middle
and put over the string with the stems, tied by the wrapper leaf, hanging
over the top of the line so that it sat there much like an old fashion
wooden clothes pin.  By the end of the season he'd have tobacco bunches half
way across the set on "the line".   Back then there were almost NO
industrial jobs in eastern NC.   The few industrial plants we had were
either tobacco processing or other farm related industries.   Tobacco was
KING and everyone knew it.   A tobacco farmer was respected as a community
leader much the same way as a small business owner is now.

Charlie