[AT] Spam> Re: Fw: 1922 cleveland[cletrac] tractor - $11000 (altoona)

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Feb 16 19:35:13 PST 2012

I am not in agreement with your 10 year old assessment of PayPal. I have bought and sold
on eBay using PayPal since before they were purchased by eBay.  Probably over 500
different transactions over the years. During that era I have never had a buyer complain
about what they received and ask for their money back.  Yes, eBay/PayPal will support a
buyer if and only if the seller has grossly misrepresented the product.  But a claim from
the buyer that they have received "junk" isn't adequate to satisfy the requirements for
PayPal to refund their payment. It takes a lot more proof than that.  I have been on the
receiving end of products sold on eBay that did not live up to the description on the eBay
auction.  First I tried to work something out with the seller and when  that wasn't
satisfactory then a complaint to ebay/PayPal was in order.  In both cases PayPal refunded
the purchase price and in one case I had to return the product at my expense (product was
sold as new and was shipped as used) and the second I received a different product than
what was advertised and pictured in the eBay auction.  In that case I received a full
refund including initial shipping costs and didn't have to pay return shipping charges.

I don't consider 2 troublesome transactions out of over 500 transactions on eBay using
PayPal to be something to get overly concerned about.  The transaction fees are not out of
line with what banks charge retailers when customers use credit cards for purchases in
their establishments.   What I don't particularly like is .....  Paypal' s practice of
playing the float on funds coming from a buyer. Paypal plays the float just like my bank.
I don't like either one. PayPal also is offering more services such as the prepaid credit
card which is a higher profit margin product than just their original PayPal services. I'm
not willing to pay them any more fees than I have to so those services are not of interest
to me. Others may find those services attractive. And that is cool with me.  I much prefer
to pay Pay Pals fees rather than expose my credit card/bank account information to an
unknown seller.  It does speed up the process over sending funds through the USPS where
unfortunately we mostly pay for storage fees rather than postage.

I do agree with getting the FBI involved in known fraud issues. I have not personally been
through that process so I don't know how receptive the FBI is to jump on these kinds of
criminal acts  but it sure would be nice if these con artists were removed from the gene
pool.  Permanently!

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ
"Whoever cannot seek the unforeseen sees nothing for the known way is an impasse."
― Heraclitus, Fragments