[AT] Starter Gear Sticking On Shaft

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:49:45 PST 2012

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone else has any trouble with a starter gear
"sticking" to the shaft, not allowing the gear to go forward and engage the
ring gear.  I have a new starter on the Super A, purchased about two years
ago, used minimally like most restored tractors, and this issue keeps
happening predictably.

I have pulled the starter many times, and each time I have to knock the
gear lose with a punch and a hammer.  The gear is always stuck at the back
of the threaded shaft.  The shaft, or the gear, has no burrs to catch the
gear and hold it; burrs around that area was one of the first things I
checked.

If you have had this issue on your starter, what have you done to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Ben Wagner