[AT] Remembering Mom's Clothesline OT

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 14 04:54:02 PST 2012

Al,  my grandparents had a wash house at their home in Columbus Co.    When
I was a little kid they had a wringer type washer and a 2 or maybe 3
compartment set of washing sinks.  Some how or another the sinks were
connected to the washer and the soapy wash water was re-used from one load
to another.  I don't remember exactly how it worked.   I'm guessing they
washed the unmentionables and whites first, then the good colored clothes
and then the work clothes last so as to take full advantage of the wash
water.  By the time I was old enough to really pay attention the old wringer
washer
had been replaced by an "automatic" but the old wash sinks were still in
there.    It was just an old wood framed building with a tin roof and a
roughly poured concrete floor.

Charlie