[AT] Remembering Mom's Clothesline OT

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 15:48:19 PST 2012

In our township there is a "gated private community" of several
thousand. In the "covenants", residents are specifically forbidden to
hang laundry outside. I guess it is considered too "middle class" for
the gentry.

It seems to me that cleaning the clothesline was only necessary if you
lived near where the trains came through. And if you did, you had to
make sure the laundry was taken in before the train passed, or they
would be covered with soot. Another problem was smoke and soot from coal
fired home boilers in the winter. I don't recall how we dealt with that
problem.

Mike