[AT] OT Low water crossings

Carl Gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Feb 9 16:21:20 PST 2012

Much of our property lying lower than the house is prone to flooding from a
major creek.  I took the same philosophy as your previous owner and where we
have trails we have built "More weather" roads instead of "all weather".
Constructing private trails using concrete over the pipe would be a bit
pricy and I have looked for old heavier wall steel pipe that would easily
take the loads without any compacted material overfill.  This way a very
minimum road elevation is required for a driveway without any hump at the
pipes.  Keeping the trail lower reduces the resistance to flow when the
water raises 4' or so.

For your application only a few inches of concrete, enough to maintain
physical integrity over time, would be required over such pipes.  For light
wall corrugated or plastic pipes, the use of concrete would still only
require minimal coverage.  There may be real engineering recommendations
available, but since you are encasing the pipes in concrete you can almost
treat them as forms and the thickness over the very top is again not going
to have to be all that thick.  6-8" should be enough since the thickness of
concrete is increasing as soon as you move away from the top center of the
pipe.  The concrete is essentially forming an arch over the culvert.  If you
wanted, it might be worth placing some short say 24 or even 48" pieces of
rebar over the top of the culvert that are oriented perpendicular to the
culvert's axis.  This would substantially increase the tensile strength of
the concrete in that area.

I have built one bridge that is 18' long crossing a drainage creek that is
about 6' deep that feeds into the main creek.  A culvert wouldn't work well
here and after much hesitation the span material that was chosen was used 6"
X 8" galvanized steel box beams that had seen service as guide rail along
major roads.  Three of these are combined together into a plank by using a
steel spreader assembly bolted to keep the beams about 3" apart.  The
spreaders are placed at the 6' and 12' locations and are heavy enough to
spread the load across the three beams.  Two of these assemblies form the
bridge.  The total width can be changed by sliding one of the plank
assemblies into a wider or narrower position.  This structure is very ridged
and strong.  The major design challenge is not to make a bridge carry the
vehicle load, it comes from water flowing over the top and uprooted trees
floating down the stream in the spring runoff or a storm.  The use of the
box beams gives the bridge a profile of only 6" for the water to push
against.  Trees remain the real problem and cables to upstream anchors have
so far (5 + years) worked sufficiently.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY