[AT] Grain Elevator

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Tue Feb 7 08:01:40 PST 2012

That's a fun video, Doug.  It fills in some information for me about how that was done.

My great-grandfather (John Wesley Goss) was instrumental in establishing the Farmers Mill in Longmont, Colorado, in the late 1800's.  It was the first cooperative mill west of the Mississippi river, and it broke the economic hold that the Chicago mills had on the prairie farmers in the early days of dry-land farming.  I have a letter that he wrote to his son-in-law.  In it, he outlines the process of establishing the mill, purchasing equipment, and managing the running of it for the many years it existed.  One major difference was that the Longmont mill had a roller mill as part of the equipment so the final product was flour, as well as filled box cars.  In those days, guarantees and replacement parts for equipment were a major concern.  The solution was to buy two of everything and keep one item in reserve in case something broke.  In the case of the Farmers Mill, the spare wagon scale was installed on the homestead west of Hygiene, Colorado, and the spare roller mill was installed on my grandfather's farm on Ute Drive (Colorado 66).  When the farm was sold at auction in 1977, the roller mill was still in operation.  The Farmers Mill burned in the 1950's and was not rebuilt.  The wagon scale is still there as a part of the green way that runs North and South just east of the Rockies, but the scrappers have removed any salvageable items.

Larry