[AT] OT Four wheelers

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Tue Dec 11 12:23:34 PST 2012

On 12/11/2012 12:07 PM, Don Bowen wrote:
> I recently underwent some fairly major surgery on my leg.  It appears
> that it may be several months before I can return fully to my previous
> activities.  The trouble is that things still need doing around here.
> Now that the bugs are down and the woods are clear I need do some work
> there.
>
> To that end I have thinking about getting some sort of four wheeler.  I
> know almost nothing about them.  What I am looking for is something that
> I can strap on a chain saw and a tank of fuel.  I would like to be able
> to drag out small branches and maybe tow a small trailer and the
> chipper.  The wooded area is mostly steep hills with a few trails.
>
> Any ideas welcome.

Don,

Was visiting a man with several hundred acres in hay and hilly woods on
Saturday, and he took four of us all over it at a pretty good clip in a
fair sized Kawasaki Mule.  He is older than me (if that's possible), has
had it a while and loves it.  Was at first surprised that he did not
pitch us out of it as fast as he drove, but it had nice handholds and
rode pretty well and comfortably.

Had been further southeast in Texas (near Kirbyville) piney woods the
week before and was shocked that his farm (near Athens) shared one thing
exactly with the first - most all the ponds are barely half full and
have been a long time.  The way the Kaw driver was bewailing (and
showing) what beavers and feral hogs were doing to trash the place made
me suspect that the long drought (a new norm?) is causing a lot of brand
new problems. He said he has gators in the bigger ponds.  I would have
thought that would hold down the beavers.  Evidently not.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas