[AT] Super Ms, Ralph Video. disc brakes etc.)

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 30 17:59:44 PST 2012

Several years ago when we plowed every year, we ran duals on the left
side.  However it was because we were too lazy to take off the other
wheel.  We were using a MF 85 diesel at the time with a 4-16 plow.  I
remember getting so bored because you didn't have to steer the tractor.
Once it was in the furrow it steered itself.  Also when coming to the
end of a furrow in terrace ground, you were coming to a point of land.
If you plowed until you hit plowed ground, you hit the left brake hard
and spun the tractor around to get back into the furrow.  If you lifted
the plow short of the end then it took a hard left brake to turn the
wheel out of the furrow and turn back into the furrow on the other
side.  The left brake was always either worn out or the best one because
the linings were burned in..
We have highly erodible land around here, However, if you no-till and
also pasture the land, you have to plow it up ever 5 years or so..  I
tried Daikon radishes this year to break up the soil, but it has been so
dry that i cannot tell if they even sprouted.  I would fertilize but I
am afraid it is so dry it would burn up what has sprouted.
  I bought a 5-16 semi mount Case Plow to go behind my 2470 Case I
bought  last year.   In this clay soil here, it will load the tractor
some.   I plan on plowing only one or 2 terraces every year to rotate
the tillage and not lose the moisture out of the entire field if this
drought continues. We have had only 0.05 in of rain since august.  Never
seen it so dry..

Cecil in OKla