[AT] Super Ms, Ralph Video. disc brakes etc.)

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Dec 30 15:02:52 PST 2012

Ron, I haven't followed this thread all the way through but around here you
could always tell a tractor that had
been used to plow because the left hand brake was worn out.  Here's why.  We
would lay out our "land"
by starting in the middle of the field and plowing the first pass for maybe
100 feet (depending on the size of the field).
We would turn around and make the second pass going the other way throwing
dirt on top of the first pass with the
furrows on the outside.  We would repeat this until we had plowed roughly a
square, in this case 100' x 100'.   Then we would start
plowing across the end, again with the furrow out, dirt thrown on the plowed
ground.  At the end of that pass we would make
a 270 deg left hand turn, hard on the left brake, turning out away from the
plowed ground, around and back into the side furrow.
Then we would go down that side and across the other end making the same 270
deg turn at each corner.  That would repeat
until the field was finished.  The idea was to lay the "land" out to match
the shape of the field.  In my example it would have
needed to be a square field.  The result was that the tractor got run all
day long, making hard left turns at each corner with the
right brake never being used.   When the field was finished there would be a
furrow all the way around the outside of the field.

Not sure if that is what is being discussed here but that is why plow
tractors in NC tobacco country had worn out left brakes.

Charlie