[AT] Merry Christmas

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:12:17 PST 2012

We left Hagerstown MD this morning about 9:30 (about 1 1/2 hours later than
I wanted to leave)
and drove the first 80 miles or so in heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain,
in 4wd and at speeds ranging from
15 mph up to 40 or so.  Finally got up to 55 mph between Warrenton and
Fredericksburg VA.  Heavy traffic on I-95
from Fredericksburg all the way until we got off of the interstate and on to
the back roads about 30 miles into NC.
Something had traffic at a standstill just as we got to the exit for hwy 903
and I actually made the last few feet to the
exit on the shoulder of the road.  From there on it was smooth sailing for
the last 100 miles or so.  No rain, some sun
and temps as high as 65 degs but the road ditches were full of water and
apparently we had just missed some severe weather
all along the eastern part of NC.  All in all it wasn't bad.  Made the trip
that is normally about 7 hours in 8 1/2 and given that it was
the day after Christmas, a historically heavy traffic day on I-81 and I-95,
it could have been much worse.  I've taken that trip on the
day after Christmas a few times before in good weather and had it take just
as long just because of heavy traffic.

Supposed to get cold here during the night with lows in the low 30's by
morning.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Charlie Hill