[AT] stuff that needs to pay the shop a visit

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 24 06:16:26 PST 2012

We normally wind up with quite a few things around here that need working on but generally get pushed back to winter when there is more time (I guess you could read that as not having to deal with concerns that require immediate attention such as farming, gardening, grass mowing, and the son’s baseball seasons). Last winter I made a list and we pretty much accomplished most of it while adding a few more things along the way. It includes normal everyday items that need working on, farm equipment repairs/updates, and a little old iron thrown in to keep our sanity.

In no particular order:

1. Get the 3300 JD combine back in the shop. It spent about 8 weeks in there this fall. I have a couple odd and ends I would like to do to the combine itself and then I need to turn my attention to the corn header—hopefully it is not as worn out as the rest of the machine was.

2. Dad’s Cub—needs the overflow tube on the radiator repaired or just replace the whole radiator. Considering how much money we have poured into this machine over the past 7-8 years, I may just put on a new radiator. He also wants to try to install a seat with a backrest. We have considered putting on an IH deluxe seat but the majority opinion is that they make getting on and off the tractor a lot harder. Probably will install a nice quality high back lawnmower seat with an adaptor plate to mount to the existing pedestal. It won’t look the best but on a working machine, who cares?

3. Titan 10-20---where do I start. I quit restoring on this one after we got it running and driving. I need to finish the repairs to the fuel tank then I can replace the temporary one I have on it now. Need to do some hopefully minor work so I can install the air cleaner. After that would be to repair the cooling tank. I imagine the front axle needs some wear issues addressed. After that would be replacing a few spokes in all the wheels. Beyond that, new fenders, floorboards, repair shield over the transmission input gears, shield for the belt pulley controls, make the cover over the valve oil cups and then paint. (I’ll settle for just getting the fuel tank fixed this year)

4. dump trailer---I bought one made out of the back half of an old grain truck. Works great but needs some improvements such as moving the lift further back so it will dump higher. Also need to shorten the bed a bit so it will dump into my elevator once it is raised higher. It needs some repairs to the floor as well as sides made.

5. Sprayer—I bought a larger tank at an auction so I want to build a new frame for my 3pt hitch sprayer. I’ll transfer my entire boom system over to the new frame. The hitch will be made so it can be hooked to category 1 or 2 tractors.

6. My Deere 55 combine needs the radiator pulled off and sent for a good flushing---this will probably wait till spring time—I won’t be needing this machine before mid-June.

7. Wood cutting anyone? Dad and I have somewhere between 30-50 antique chainsaws. Some of them (mainly the smaller one man saws) have not been cranked in 15+ years. We really need to get a few of them out and crank them up.

8. 1937 McCormick I-20---this is an industrial version of a 10-20 (properly referred to as an Industrial 20).  For the third time, mice have gotten into the clutch housing and made enough mess to cause the clutch to stick. I keep saying I am going to sell this machine as I have no intention of restoring it. It would sure free up some shed space.

9. 1966 Mustang. Here is another one I need to sell (at least it would make the wife happy). Unfortunately it needs the brakes fixed first—they are sticking bad from sitting. I was all ready to sell it until me and the boy were watching a restoration show on TV about old cars. He turns around, looks at me and says “We should get one of those”. I said we already have an old car. With a slightly puzzled look and a wry smile he then said “You mean the Mustang?” Me and my fat mouth.....

10. Cub Cadets. We have a 128 and 129 that I want to update the steering with a thrust bearing. Seems to be a rather popular improvement with Cadet enthusiasts. My 2072 needs a good once over. It needs a new seat, front wheel bearings, and maybe the ball joints on the steering cylinder. I would love to paint it, will just have to see how time goes.

If it goes like last year, we’ll get about half of this stuff done and the rest will be pushed back again. I suppose #1 priority should be to give the shop a good cleaning to make some of the work go more efficiently.

So what is on YOUR repair list for this winter?

John Hall