[Farmall] cub steering upgrade

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Sun Dec 16 12:20:45 PST 2012

I added thrust bearings to one of my cubs that I put a loader on, and it
does help quite a bit.  If you are having trouble steering it normally
though, I suggest before going the bearing rout  you check for oil in
the gear box and that the vertical tubes are sufficiently greased.  When
a cub is moving in second gear you should be able to rotate the steering
wheel using 2 fingers.  If it is harder to turn than that you need to do
some maintenance.   Jack  the front up, and if there is any resistance
to steering you need to fix that. disconnect tie rods and see if it is
from one wheel or the other. If so, pump grease into that vertical
spindle tube and keep working it back and forth.  frequently they do not
get enough grease to lubricate the top bushing and they begin to bind.

If you decide to go ahead with the thrust bearings go to
http://www.mcmaster.com/#needle-roller-thrust-bearings/=kmcyb7 and order
the thrust bearings.  ! inch if I remember correctly.  The spindles have
a brass thrust bearing that is part of the tube and another on the
shaft, which are not hard enough to carry the bearings so you need the
washers that go with them.  if you have knuckles that have the woodruff
key and clamp it is easy, just put them back on.  If you have the set
screw spindles, you will need to grind about 1/4 inch or more off the
top of the spindle tube to have enough room to put the setscrew back
in.  The biggest job is getting the spindles out of the tube.  They are
normally grooved, worn out of round, have lips where the setscrews went
in, etc. and it normally requires some work with a file, strips of emery
cloth, or even an hand held grinder to get them out.  Driving them out
with a hammer rather than a brass drift will tend to head them and make
it even worse.  It does help the steering.  On my loader it is only a
little harder to steer with the empty loader on than a front blade. Of
course when you put 400 or 500 pounds in the loader it gets a lot
harder.  LOL.

Regarding the seat, remember that when you go to the deluxe seat the
only up and down give you have will be the cushion, you will lose the
spring travel. I live in hill country where the ground is uneven, rough,
etc. and prefer the pan set with a good cushion.  it lets me stay
upright better on slopes, when the wheel goes into a hole or over a
rock, etc.  One thing to think aobut the pretty vinyl cushions tend to
cause your posterior to sweat on a hot day, and are pretty cold when you
first hit them on a freezing day.  The canvas one are not as pretty, but
much more comfortable.