[AT] OT - Generatorbelt exchange in 5 seconds

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Fri Dec 14 18:45:26 PST 2012

I never fully optimized the setup, although I put many miles on the conversion.  Stock tranny gearing was horrible for the extra power (after all, it did go from 40 to 140 hp!!)   Low was waay to low; I routinely used 2nd from a standstill.  Had a lightweight (11 lb?) flywheel in it; take your foot off the gas and it was like throwing out an anchor!  Ah, the memories!  Had it in a Beetle for a while, and then got a rusty old Karmen Ghia I put it in.  That was kewl; the factory engine compartment cover on the Ghia fit over the Vair engine, so there was no indication of anything not stock - except for two big ol exhaust pipes sticking out.

It was an interesting swap.  The VW & Corvair engines rotate in opposite directions, but the ring gear of the VW transaxle was swappable from one side to the other.

Again, lots of memories!!

Gene W