[AT] Good tractor work-out...

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 6 08:58:55 PST 2012

I have been plowing my two mile road and several driveways for about 40
years, starting with a Farmall Cub and ending up with the new pickup
truck. I have never had any damage to any of the machines that were the
result of plowing or plows. So I feel I can offer a little advice on the
subject.

1. Be patient. If you move fast and hit something, even with a spring
trip, something will feel the impact. I go slowly and try to be aware of
how things are going.

2. Don't ride the clutch to get a couple more inches. If the tires start
to slip or you run out of power, drop back and take a lesser cut. Don't
use the truck/tractor and blade as a ram to push hardened drifts or
chunks of ice.

3. Don't drive around with the blade on the truck, especially on a
pickup - NO pickups are designed to handle the extra weight up front,
and it is very hard on the suspension and steering. 2WD tractor front
ends aren't much better. But tractor rears are designed to handle the
weight. Putting ballast in the back of the truck bed will take some of
the load off the front end and help with overall traction.

4. Don't swing the blade when it is down or under load - back up a few
feet and lift it to swing. If you don't, you will soon be buying new a
hydraulic motor and/or cylinders.

5. Take the vehicle out of 4WD/FWA if you don't need it - those systems
are not designed for constant use like an AWD system. It is hard on the
drive train and the tires, especially on dry surfaces. On my F350 mason
dump, it had manual hubs, which were a pain. I was not sorry to see that
truck gone (for a whole bunch of reasons). If the snow is light, keep
the truck in high range and plow in first or second. Save low range for
really heavy stuff.

6. Make sure all your headlights, backup lights, flasher, wipers, PTO
(or electric lift/swing motor), etc. are in good shape when it is clear
and dry - it is no fun trying to troubleshoot electrical problems in the
middle of the night while it is snowing. (been there, done that) Along
the same lines, keep the fuel tank full and check ALL the fluids before
the storm, not after it starts to down.

7. Keep a snow brush, windshield scraper, spare pare of gloves, tow
strap/chain, spare fuses, flashlight and batteries, snow shovel, and any
other emergency gear in the cab. You may never need them, but if you do,
you will be glad they are there. If you are plowing with a tractor, you
don't get much choice about what to carry, but you probably won't be all
that far from the barn either.

There are probably some other things that folks can come up with, but
that is all that comes to mind, aside from making sure that the snow
plowing machinery is in good overall condition.

Mike