[AT] Good tractor work-out...

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 6 10:27:21 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sloane" <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Good tractor work-out...

 If the tires start
> to slip or you run out of power, drop back and take a lesser cut. Don't
> use the truck/tractor and blade as a ram to push hardened drifts or
> chunks of ice.

I guess I have broken this rule more than once and it was really the only
way to get through. When confronted with a wall of snow, trees on either
side and nowhere to push the snow but straight ahead, the battering ram
approach was all that would work. Many is the time my dad would wind up the
old Cockshutt 50 in road gear (all of 10.5 mph) and ram the v plow into a
snow drift and gain a few feet. Backing up could then be a problem but
nothing a little shoveling wouldn't cure.
I've done the same with the 2090 Case and 8 foot dozer blade. A lot heavier
tractor  with a light duty Cancade blade moving 14 mph will really send the
snow flying. The rear mount snowblower is a different story. Slow and steady
chewing into the deep snow will always get through unless it is deeper than
the rear wheels of a Cockshutt 40.
I have never plowed snow with a pickup of any kind so can't comment on that.
I'd assume we are talking 4wd trucks here as a 2 wd won't hardly move itself
in snow, let alone hanging a blade on the front .

Ralph in Sask.