[AT] Loader removal - 53 NAAcFord

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Mon Dec 3 16:19:34 PST 2012

Mike, your' post reminds me of a Farmall M I saw a couple of years ago.
It had started its' life out as the power/propelling source for an IH
cotton picker.  However, somewhere in its' life cycle most of the cotton
picker had been removed and a well made heavy duty loader was attached to
the back end of the M.  When I saw this "contraption" sitting by the side
of the road I just had to stop and ask about it.  As I understand it when
the Farmall M was used to power the cotton picker the operator's platform
(which contained the seat, steering wheel, pedals, shift lever, etc) was
part of the picker and was elevated well above the M's transmission cover.

On the M I saw it appeared that most of the operator's platform from the
cotton picker had been left on the tractor but lowered down to/on the
level of the M's transmission cover.  If the loader were removed from this
tractor and a 3-pt hitch were attached I think it would make a good
antique snow blowing tractor - at least it would solve the sore neck
issue!  Remember on these M's that were driven "backwards" to propel the
cotton picker the differentials were rolled over thus giving 5 speeds in
the working direction.

Dudley