[AJD] JD paint

Mitchell Daly md31043 at msn.com
Sun Aug 19 12:58:43 PDT 2012

Kreig,
I've got a good friend back here in Maryland who is noted for his outstanding paint jobs. When I painted my 420U last year, I had him paint the hood, grill and fenders and I painted the tractor. Figured I couldn't screw that up too bad, but the sheet metal is what everybody sees. He swears by and basically only uses PPG paints. According to Jerry, they can match EXACTLY the Deere colors. He did say that the Deere factory paint is excellent too. He thins it 10% and adds a pint of PPG hardener per gallon. I have the correct PPG hardener name/number down in the barn and can get it for you if you want. With my little experience painting, I'm totally happy with the way the 420 came out and even my paint guy said that it looks pretty good. It's industrial yellow and yellow is hard to paint to start with. Be sure to use an HVLP spray unit. You won't waste much paint and they are easier to use than the high pressure guns.
Mitch Daly -  md31043 at msn.com