[Farmall] 340 Utility hydraulics

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Aug 26 15:57:32 PDT 2012

I can only go by my own experience with my 340
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/>. I really think that
you are going to have to just dump the fluid, if it is that badly
contaminated with water. When I removed that plate, the original filters
were still there, and they were just a soggy mess. The new filter
assembly is a much better arrangement. If you can get the system working
at all, you can run it dry for a minute or so (no more than that!) and
work the valves to pump most of the fluid out. If a few ounces of the
old stuff remain, I wouldn't worry about it. You can loosen the hoses on
the rear lift and just let the fluid run out of the lift cylinder and
blow out the front-to-rear manifold with air.

In my case, I don't buy Hy-tran because there are no Case IH dealers in
the area. I just use "tractor hydraulic fluid" from NAPA, and it works
fine for me. I buy a 5-gallon pail and use it with a bucket pump in all
of my tractors (I have about a dozen). There are two kinds of hydraulic
fluid at NAPA - one for older machines like the 340 and the kind for
newer machines like skid steers. The correct one says something like
"Equivalent to Case IH Hy-tran".

Mike