[Farmall] 340 Utility hydraulics

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Sun Aug 26 16:11:13 PDT 2012

I thought the 340 hydraulics used oil from the transmission.  If so, you are
looking at 5 or 6 gallons for a change.  Assuming that is so, I would pull
the transmission/differential drain plug and give the crud at least over
night to drain.  Then do a partial refill, enough for the gears and
hydraulics to be able to pick it up, maybe a couple gallons will do it.  Run
it around some to flush things and drain it again.  Repeat until the oil
doesn't turn white.  I would use genuine Hy-Tran as it will absorb more
moisture.  Using something else will require more flushes.

Then you can start working on the hydraulics.  Maybe clean oil will be all
the hydraulics needs.  Otherwise, clean all the intakes, strainers, filter
etc. and see if that fixes it.  If it doesn't, then you have real hydraulic
repairs to diagnose/fix.  Once it is fixed, you will need to cycle the hitch
and whatever is attached.  You will probably need to change the oil again
and top it off.

I hate to say it, but sometimes if maintenance is deferred long enough, you
need to catch up, not just pick up the schedule!

Jim Becker