[AT] no mail

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Aug 10 15:21:56 PDT 2012

My tractors are all running OK, Dick. But the weather has been either
unbearably hot or raining here in NJ for the last few weeks. So I have
just been staying indoors. But the damn grass is growing like its May.
Usually I can pretty well forget about cutting grass after mid-summer,
but now I am out there once a week.

My old Woods RM306 (6' rear mount finish mower) just tore up its last
belt the other day. It is going for scrap, and I need to find another
that is gear drive, not with a belt that takes half a dozen twists and
turns and costs $50+ and lasts less than a season. Unfortunately, Woods
wants something like $4500 for a current replacement, which is about
$4400 more than I paid for this one and twice what I paid for any of my
tractors. (I invested more in belts over the last few years than what
the mower cost. Now I know why the guy sold it to me so cheap.)
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/ford-860-with-woods.html>

I have seen some imported mowers that cost less, but I also noticed that
their shipping weight is about half of the Woods, which tells me a lot
about their construction. Any suggestions anyone?

Mike