[AT] Re Driving to Unionville Missouri

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Thu Aug 2 08:53:01 PDT 2012

LOL!  It doesn't help, Steve, that the federal government determined that there would never be any correction for errors in the mapping system in 1795 -- the very beginning of the federal land system that starts at the point where the historical north bank of the Ohio river crosses Ellicott's line -- the western boundary of Pennsylvania.  The first seven ranges in SE Ohio are the only portion of the United States that was laid out (surveyed) by the military rather than by civilian workers.  They got it wrong, and did it all at 90 degrees to how it was supposed to be done.  That error and the thousands of others are still in the "database" today.  And then along came new technology which makes the original work irrelevant.  Do you think we'll ever completely convert to the new system?  My guess is that we probably won't.  I could say more, but the topic goes immediately into both religion and politics.  There is enough of that going on without having me add to it.

Larry