[AT] Info on potato growing and crop insurance - was RE: OT Happywhite easter

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 12 12:49:12 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Brians
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:03 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: [AT] Info on potato growing and crop insurance - was RE: OT
Happywhite easter

Charlie, I would not describe this as having crop problems, rather as the
ups and downs of farming! We will be appying a little extra fertilizer to
the potatoes to help them, but the Squash and Cucumbers that got frost
damage will simply either not make it (very likely) or have reduced and late
yields. That is just the way it is. One note that you may not realize is
that in practical terms the disaster relief and crop insurance programs
simply do not exist for most California vegetable growing operations,
especially an operation like I have. The reasons are that the programs are
designed primarily for what I would call monocrop farms. The programs all
presume one planting date per season, rather than our situation of year
round planting times. They also presume that there is one harvest time per
type of crop (such as Grain Corn or Soybeans are harvested in the late
summer or fall.) The programs also presume that waht I would call clean up
harvests (such as the cutting of the Spinach after the hailstorms we had
this year and last - another item that used to be exceedingly rare, but
seems not to be now) do not occur. We have to do those clean up harvests to
return to the market ASAP after a weather event or else we would lose our
customers, just as the other California produce operations need to do.
Remember we market fresh vegetables all year long from our fields here in
Californis's Central Coastal region. Crop insurance is also offered only for
some crops (most of ours are not on the list) and it does not account for
premium quality prices - we sell most of our products to restaurants because
of of the quality and despite our being an organic farm, many of those sales
are because our products taste better and have less waste than the
chemically grown producers. The buyers buy based on flavor, looks and
nutrition which is very, very unusual - most farms' wholesale customers do
not even consider flavor or level of nutrient content (except animal feed
buyers and TDN, % protein and moisture content!) The last reason the
programs don't help us is that if we lose less than 50% of the yield for all
plantings of that vegetable for the year, then there is no payment.
     I consider myself only a so-so potato grower as although I can grow
perfect potatoes everytime in the garden (as long as they are not hit by
frost!), that in the fields we are still very much fine-tuning the process
and we are working on improving yields as this area has not been a
significant potato area since the 1940's. There are two basic rules for
potato fertilization that a gardener needs to follow (I presume you are
asking about gardening). First, don't short the plants early on nitrogen and
other nutrients and second, monitor the plants to see if they are happy.
     The BIG commercial growers use massive amounts of either chemical or
organic nitrogen fertilizer and in a sense they are correct, potatoes use a
large amount of nitrogen. However, if you are using chemical fertilizer for
your nutrients, there are huge hazards physiologically for the plants that
have to be guarded against. Disclosure here that I think everyone knows on
the list that I AM an organic farmer, but I did farm with chemicals decades
ago and am knowledgeable about many of the practices that are used today
still in that field. Potato yields are typically limited by two nutrients -
Nitrogen and Calcium, although they use significant levels of all sorts of
elements. The more nitrogen applied to the soil or plant, the more likely
imbalances involving Calcium and other nutrients become. So if you are using
Chemical fertilizer you need to test for the nutrients that are not
contained in the fertilizer because remember that nearly all Chemical
Fertilizers contain only usable N, P and K. Calcium, Sulfur, Zinc, Magnesium
and many other elements are critical to the processes of a potato plant and
the microbes that surround it in the soil. But whatever the source of
nutrients, potatoes are unhappy if there is not a pretty large amount of
usable Nitrogen in the soil before Tuber formation.
    The way I make that happen in a garden (or my fields) is by applying a
slightly higher than usual amount of compost (versus other crops) before
planting, working it into the soil well so that most of it is at or below
the depth of where I will plant the seed potato. Then when the potato plants
are setting tubers, if indicated I sidedress added fertilizer in the field.
In the garden I have found it quite effective to plant potatoes after a
legume crop such as winter peas, Fava Beans or a cover crop of vetch or
clover because they start to release the nitrogen from breakdown at the
perfect time for the potatoes. In the garden I rarely need to sidedress as a
result, but if I do I use a well composted manure or feather meal. In the
field I use feather meal.
     One thing that is critical for potatoes to do well, irrespective of the
specifically applied fertilizers is to make sure that they are hilled
multiple times during growth. This is important to limit the amount of
weeding (the hilling covers weeds before they become a problem) and also to
cover enough potential nodes for tuber setting to allow a large yield. It
also reduces the water stress of the plants as if they do not have enough of
the lower sections of the plants covered with soil, then they are slightly
weaker and also transpirate more moisture out of the leaves. In our climate
with the low rainfall and need to irrigate most crops, this is really
important Right now we have potatoes ranging from just emerging from the
soil to about 18" tall, with the last planting to occur this season in June.
I have planted potatoes as late as July 15 successfully in a favorable year.
     Good luck! Also, being in the Southeast as you are, it is necessary to
plant varieties that are heat adapted, unlike most of the varieties that I
grow that are happiest in cool to warm temperatures. One of my favorites is
Kerr's Pink a potato from Ireland that loves coolish weather and heavy soil.
For North Carolina, the university extension has a really terrific website
with info about adapted varieties that I looked at a few years ago.
         Grant Brians
         Hollister,California Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit farmer